Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Airships from the John Carter of Mars Trailer



Well its finally here, the trailer for Walt Disney's John Carter of Mars. I must admit that I am still excited even after making a list of all the things I wished they had done differently. So why am I posting this to a blog that is supposed to be about miniatures?

I guess because at first I was little disappointed with the style of the air ship shown in this first teaser trailer. Ever since I had first heard that Disney was doing the movie I had been dreaming of all the toys they would be producing once the film was released. I had envisioned all sorts of Victorianesque airships lining the toy aisles of my local department store. Giving me easy and possibly cheap access to ships for my miniatures to man. Of course the scale would be wrong but I could probably fix that.

I surmise that one reason they chose to go with their current ascetic was to avoid any comparison to the airships in Return of The Jedi. One could argue that Jabba the Hut's ships were very much influenced by the ships of the original illustration from Burroughs books. Which is one reason why those specific Star Wars toys are so easily converted to VSF miniature gaming.


00:00:57
00:00:59
At first glance I thought that these wings were some sort of energy paddles.



00:01:00
But on closer inspection I realized that they are in fact sails. This sort of deck layout and use of numerous multi-sails feels very Space 1889! Their appearance is that of some strange Oar / Sail combo.



00:01:15
The deck it's self looks very promising too. From this still it would appear to be planked and made of wood. I am assuming that this frame shows the bow of the ship with cannons on both the port and starboard sides. 

Only time will tell what kind of ships we end up with on the shelves.  But heres to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment